With many amenities – quick access to downtown Detroit and neighboring cities, good shopping choices, public/private schools and an active, engaged community – the neighborhood is an excellent choice for families and individual homeowners. The neighborhood association hosts activities including contests, home tours, garden club, annual garage sale and a holiday party. Established residents and new neighbors meet monthly to discuss issues, successes and general neighborhood information. The mutual support of neighbors and feeling of community is the heart of our neighborhood.
East English Village prides itself on the diversity of our community. We are one of the most racially mixed neighborhoods in the City of Detroit. Civil servants, blue collar workers, retirees and professionals from different ethnic groups, religions and sexual orientations have all found a welcome place here.
First developed in 1913, most of the distinctive brick homes of East English Village were built in the early 1930s through 1950. The solid architecture and high quality materials used in the homes continues to attract residents who value the charm and character of older homes.
Most of the lots in our neighborhood were developed in the boom years of the 1920s, and most homes were built in the following years by skilled and creative craftsmen from all over the world, that the city and its new auto industry had attracted.
In 1805, the territory of Michigan was created, with Detroit as the capital. Between 1808 and 1810, five ribbon farms were registered under the family names of Little, Rivard, Fournier and Tremble. These five farms were later subdivided into the area we now know as East English Village.
In 1818, the farms became part of the new Hamtramck Township, and in 1848 the area was renamed Grosse Pointe Township. By the turn of the 20th century, the city boundaries of Detroit began to expand, and the area was transformed into an attractive residential community.
The first subdivision, once part of Moran Farms, was named Grosse Pointe Manor and was developed in 1913. This subdivision ran along Audubon, Whittier and Kensington streets between Mack and East Warren. Grosse Pointe Villa, another subdivision, was developed around 1915 and inculded the east side of Poupard (now called Yorkshire) from Mack to East Warren. Between 1926 and 1930, Yorkshire was developed between East Warren and Harper as Poupard Woodlands. Simultaneously, Bishop, between Mack and East Warren, was being developed as Poupard Estates. In 1924, the Eastern Heights Land Company began to develop land along both sides of Kensington between East Warren and Harper. Also in 1924, The Charles Dunn Trust, Paul Deronne and the Voigt family developed the Scully’s Voigt farmlands on Harvard and Cadieux between Mack and Harper.
By 1925, most of the area had been subdivided into residential parcels. The actual construction of the homes did not really begin to boom until 1928, with much of the building taking place in the early 1930s. The owners, not the developers, hired builders; this turned the new homeowners into designers and enabled them to custom order their homes. This accounts for the unique characteristics of each home.
The people who came to build their homes in this area were mostly professionals. The area known as East English Village attracts police officers, civil servants, doctors, lawyers, and businessmen. Residents of many different ethnic groups have added to the diversity of our community.
The number of families in the neighborhood settled to approximately 2100, and most homes only changed hands a few times. Many residents who have lived their entire lives in our community.